Whiplash is an injury to the neck due to a sudden distortion or extension of the neck, when the neck experiences a sudden cervical (neck) acceleration-deceleration motion. Whiplash is usually the result of a rear impact while in a stationary position and is most often associated with being hit from behind in a motor vehicle. However, a Utah whiplash injury can also occur from injuries related to horseback riding, bicycles, falling from a higher level such as a stool or shaken baby syndrome.
With regular adjustments and with the help of therapists and massage therapists, the team as a whole can not only dramatically reduce the pain involved in an accident or injury, but also reduce the recovery time that it would otherwise take to return to the enjoyment of normal daily routines and activities.
Free 30 Minute Massage
If you've been in a car accident within the past 45 days
What should Whiplash Treatment include?
- Manipulation– Spinal adjustments and manipulation increases blood circulation to the injured muscles as well as aligns the neck and spine appropriately to reduce inflammation in the vertebrae, discs, joints, tendons and muscles to allow for proper healing. Frequent manipulations in a short time after an injury help keeps relieve stiffness of muscles that tighten around the injury and promotes flexibility to aid in increased range of motion.
- Mobilizations– Early use of range of motion exercises have a more rapid recovery than extended use of immobilization or use of a cervical collar.
- Immobilizations– Neck traction or a neck brace if prescribed. However, new research shows that immobilization causes muscle atrophy (muscle wasting) as well as decreased blood flow and healing of injured muscles.
- Supplemental heat– application may relieve muscle tension
- Range of motion exercises– Patients who use range of motion exercises as soon as symptoms allow, usually within 1-4 days, improve and recover at a more rapid rate.
- Physical therapy– can be helpful to help strengthen muscles and reduce injured and painful motions and to help a patient discontinue use from a neck collar.
Effect & Symptoms of Whiplash Inury
Whiplash is a relatively common injury; however, it is often ignored or neglected due to lack of understanding of the condition. While some symptoms can occur immediately after the injury, some symptoms are often are not felt until days later. The most common effects of whiplash are pain and stiffness in the neck, shoulders and back, headaches, pain and weakness in the arm, dizziness, fatigue.
In more severe whiplash cases, long term effects and symptoms can include stress, frustration, anger, sleep difficulties, social withdrawal, and even drug dependency. If not properly educated and treated, whiplash patients may even develop more chronic symptoms such as depression and anxiety. Contact the top car accident chiropractors in Utah today.